ICNF 2019 - 4th International Conference on Natural Fibers
Natural fibres are a renewable resource, par excellence, having been renewed by nature and by humans for millennia. Recently, they have drawn tremendous attention of both scientific community and industrial sectors due to their abundance and low cost, good specific mechanical properties and environmental benefits. Tremendous growth in the use of non-renewable and non-biodegradable synthetic materials and associated emission of green-house gases is presently a big concern for the environment and future generations. In this context, the use of natural fibres, extracted from plants which absorb carbon dioxide and benefit the environment, seem to be highly attractive. In addition, processing of natural fibres generates wastes, which are mostly organic and can be used to generate electricity or green building, and at the end of its life cycle, they are 100% biodegradable.
Due to the increasing environmental concern and depletion of non-renewable resources, natural fibres are greatly enlarging its range of applications in different industrial sectors including automobiles, sports, architecture, design and many others. Consequently, extensive technological and scientific research and developments are being undertaken by various institutes around the world, turning these amazing materials into eco-friendly value added products and stepping towards a greener world.
The path of the revaluation of natural fibers goes through the improvement of its production sectors, the continuous deepening of scientific knowledge in this area, new marketing strategies and indelibly, the generation of products based on natural fibers.
Following up the great success of ICNF2013, ICNF2015 and ICNF2017 covering the topics, “Sustainable materials for advanced applications”, “From nature to market” and “Advanced Materials for a Greener World”, ICNF2019 will focus on “Smart Sustainable Solutions”, aiming to explore the potential of natural fibres as key materials to design smart and sustainable solutions for the future generations. To fulfil this important goal, along with the scientific sessions, Natural Fibrenamics Award contest will be organized to promote and show new innovative natural fibre based products from all over the world.
ICNF2019 - Smart Sustainable Solutions, to be held in Porto, Portugal, aims to be the meeting point for everyone interested in these fantastic materials called natural fibers.
The conference topics include:
- New processes for natural fiber agriculture extraction and processing;
- Natural fiber reinforced biopolymers;
- Innovative natural fibers & structures;
- Functional natural fibers;
- Natural fiber modification techniques;
- Advanced fibrous structures based on natural fibers;
- Nanodimensional natural fibers;
- Natural fiber based polymeric composites;
- Green composites;
- Natural fiber based cementitious composites;
- Applications of natural fibers in high end sectors;
- Analytics, modeling and prediction of properties and behavior;
- Product development based on natural fibers;
- Markets for natural fibers;
- Sustainability of natural fibers: life cycle assessment studies;
- Textile processing of natural fibers;
- Properties & characterization of natural fibers & structures;
ICNF 2017 - 3rd International Conference on Natural Fibers
Advanced Materials for a Greener World
21st to 23rd June 2017 - Braga, Portugal
ICNF 2015 - 2nd International Conference on Natural Fibers
From Nature to Market
27 to 29th April - Azores, Portugal
ICNF 2013 - 1st International Conference on Natural Fibers
Sustainable Materials for Advanced Applications
9 to 11th June 2013 - Guimarães, Portugal